Sunday, August 10, 2008

Module 4 - youTube, Podcasts, ebooks

I have been having a look around youTube, which is a definite time sucker.  I have tried looking at the podcasting sites too.  (The Yahoo Podcasts link @ YPRL blog didn't work for me, and I couldn't find it elsewhere.)  I didn't realise there was sooooo much out there! I already subscribe to Dr Karl's science show on Triple J and listen to it with iTunes, but I as a result of this "taste of web" exercise, I have found a book review program, 'The Penguin Broadcast' that I have had a listen too also.  There is lots out there to discover, given the one important ingredient: TIME.  

I have also had a browse of the ebook sites and I downloaded a couple of books at random, that I deleted after I found they were not of any great interest to me.  I later found an interesting book about drawing that's now sitting on my desktop waiting for, you guessed it, TIME.  I'm not sure if reading a book on my computer screen is a real option for me, I prefer the analogue version of paper and ink.  

As I am a mac user, the overdrive media resource was not an option for me as it uses some sort of windows software that's not compatible with my mac. 

Librivox would be a great resource for those happy to let someone else do all the work.  I had a listen to "The Man Who Knew Too Much" but I really prefer to do the reading myself.  

Of all these items in module 4 my favourite is the podcasting.  I like the idea of being able to listen to a radio show when it suits me, not when it goes to air.  If I had an ipod I would definitely be filling it up with my favourite shows to listen to in my leisure.  However, I don't think creating my own podcast is my idea of enjoyment, for me or the listener, I'll spare the world of that!   


No comments: