Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Module 6 - My Space and Drupal

Over the last couple of days I have been checking out Module 6.  And yes, I have heard of mySpace before, and I have even been there before.  (So I'm not so out of the loop after all...)  But, it doesn't hold my interest for me, and I am not about to start up a mySpace site for myself.  I listened to the "sunrise" segment about the internet and safety issues.  It is a real concern and it is easy to be complacent about our privacy on the internet at times.  It's all too easy to 'put it out there' thinking that it's only the friendly element that will access our information.  But from my own work experience I can attest that this is not always the case and common sense should prevail and people should be mindful of who they are inviting into their world.  This is a rule of thumb that teenagers all too often turn a blind eye too and leave themselves vulnerable to predators.  I can also see that mySpace could be a great outlet and contact source for many people.  I'll leave them too it for now.

Regarding Drupal, I have had some trouble getting my head around it.  I am not internet savvy and have no idea about web page construction or what it all means, so I think a lot of the advantages of Drupal and it's overall concept is lost on me.  I can see that there is a mountain of users, and I viewed the slideshare presentation, but again, I think the info was a little out of my league.  From what I could understand, it's a great resource is you already have the users waiting for a space to access information, such as a library community or school/university.  The slideshare presenter hinted on the ease of web site construction using Drupal, but there was still a lot of lingo that I had no clue about.  I also read some feed back comments that there is some cost involved in using Drupal, but I expect it is less than paying a web designer to do the work for you.  It will be interesting to see what other's learn of it.  The next section is facebook, which is a last a component of this learning experience that I know a little about.  I started my own face book profile around the same time as starting this blog.

No comments: